Income Tax Refund Information

You can check the status of your current year refund online, or by calling the automated line at (410) 260-7701 or 1-800-218-8160. Be sure you have a copy of your return on hand to verify information. You can also e-mail us at to check on your refund. Remember to include your name, only the last four digits of your Social Security number and refund amount in your e-mail request.

If you're expecting a tax refund and want it quickly, file electronically - instead of using a paper return.

If you choose direct deposit, we will transfer your refund to your bank account within a few days from the date your return is accepted and processed.

Electronic filers

We usually process electronically filed tax returns the same day that the return is transmitted to us.

If you filed electronically through a professional tax preparer and haven't received your refund check our online system. If not there, call your preparer to make sure that your return was transmitted to us and on what date. If sufficient time has passed from that date, call our Refund line.

Paper filers

Paper returns take approximately 30 days to process. Keep in mind that acknowledgment of the receipt of your return takes place when your return has processed and appears in our computer system.

Typically, a refund can also be delayed when the return contains:

  • Math errors.
  • Missing entries in the required sections.
  • An amount claimed for estimated taxes paid that doesn't correspond with the amount we have on file.

Check cashing services

If you plan to use a check cashing service to cash your refund check, remind the check cashing vendor that we cannot verify any information about your refund over the phone. Your tax information is confidential and we are obligated to protect that confidentiality.

To check the status of your refund online, you may use our online application.

To check the status of your refund using our automated telephone line, please call 410-260-7701 or 1-800-218-8160.

For both services, you will need your Social Security number and the exact amount of your expected refund.

The Revenue Administration Division will issue you a notice when a change is made to your return. If, after you review the notice, you have questions, please contact us and have the notice available. Before you call, please review the following reasons to see if one or more apply to your situation:

  • You owe money for past taxes, child support, to another state or federal agency. Those monies will be deducted from your refund until the debt is repaid.
  • You tried to claim an ineligible dependent. There are specific regulations regarding claiming a dependent. Any dependent you are not legally able to claim will be disallowed.
  • You failed to include the Form 502B, Dependents' Information. You must include this form with your Form 502 to claim any dependent other than you and your spouse.
  • You tried to claim a dependent whose social security number has already been claimed by someone else.
  • You did not provide a valid Social Security number or ITIN.
  • You tried to claim a deduction for which you are not eligible.  Ineligible deductions will be disallowed.  For example, if you used Form 502SU and did not supply the proper documentation with your return, the claim will be disallowed.
  • You claimed a credit without including Form 502CR and/or any required documentation with the return.
  • You forgot to calculate the local tax along with the state income tax.
  • Your W-2 or 1099 has been altered.
  • You did not provide the necessary documentation to process your return. For example, W-2 or 1099 forms, which support your claim for taxes withheld. 
  • You may have submitted an incomplete tax return. For example, there is a page missing, or you included forms for another state or for the IRS, instead of completed Maryland tax forms.
  • You return may be illegible, especially if written in pencil or red ink. This will delay the processing of your tax return.
  • There may be aspects of your return which require further review, or possibly an audit. We also randomly select tax returns for audit, and those returns which have abnormally high deductions or credits.
  • In order to process a return where a direct deposit is requested, we must be able to read all numbers correctly. We may reject requests for direct deposit where the routing and/or account number is not easily readable.
  • You did not provide the complete account number for your bank account. Some bank account numbers begin with a series of zeroes, and these zeroes are part of your account number. If you omit them, your refund will not go to your account.
  • You did not put the bank information (routing number and account number) on your return. Attaching a voided check or a deposit slip will not work. The bank information must be printed on the return for a direct deposit.
  • On a paper return with two bar codes on page 1, any information written on the return will be ignored. If you must make a change to any of the information, such as adding direct deposit information, print out the return after adding this information and mail it to Revenue Administration. Better yet, file electronically.

One of the best ways to get your Maryland income tax refund faster is through direct deposit. Choosing to have your refund deposited directly into your bank account avoids the uncertainty of that "check in the mail" and waiting in line to deposit the check at the bank.

If you file electronically and choose direct deposit of your refund, we will transfer the funds to your bank account within several days from the date your return is accepted and processed.

IMPORTANT: Please use only valid Checking or Savings account and routing numbers on your Direct Deposit request. The bank routing number and account number appear at the bottom of your checks. Do not use the number that appears on your ATM or Debit Card. If you do not know your bank routing and account numbers, please contact your financial institution. If the information you provide is incorrect, the bank may reject the direct deposit which will result in a paper check being issued. This will add several days to receipt of your refund.

The Comptroller of Maryland is not responsible for the misapplication of a direct deposit refund that is caused by the error, negligence or malfeasance on the part of the taxpayer, electronic filer, return preparer, financial institution or any of their agents.

Splitting your Direct Deposit

If you would like to deposit portions of our refund to multiple accounts , do not complete any direct deposit information on your income tax return. Instead , you must enter code number 588 in one of the code number boxes located to the right of the telephone number area on your return, complete and attach Form 588.

You may not use Form 588 if you are filing Form 502INJ, Maryland Injured Spouse Claim Form, or if you plan to deposit your refund in a bank outside the United States.

Verify Bank Numbers

Make sure you have the correct bank account number and bank routing number before filing your return.

Your bank routing number appears on the left side of the bottom of your check. Your bank account number is shown towards the right, after your routing number.

If you are using a check from a bank which is made payable through another financial institution, check with the financial institution to verify your bank account and routing numbers and make sure your direct deposit will be accepted.

Enter your numbers carefully. We cannot be held responsible for a lost refund if you enter incorrect account information. In addition, we cannot change any of your bank account and routing numbers after you have filed your return, even if you request us to do so. We also cannot cancel your direct deposit once you have filed the request.

Bank Accounts Outside the U.S.

In order to comply with new banking rules, we ask you that you check a special box on the back of your return to indicate if your state refund is going to an account outside the United States. If this is the case, do not enter your routing and account number on your return, since the direct deposit option is not available to you. We will send you a paper check.

Electronic filers

  • Tell us whether you want your refund deposited in your checking or savings account by using the checking or savings account indicator (CSI). Depending on the software, you will check a box or indicate your choice with a "Y" or "N."
  • Enter the bank routing number. This is the nine-digit number located in the lower left hand corner of your personal check.
  • Enter your bank account number. This number appears on the bottom of your check, to the right of the routing number. The account number can be up to 17 characters (both numbers and letters). Enter the number from left to right and leave any unused line blank.
  • If you do not know your bank routing number or bank account number, contact your financial institution. This information is important. If it's incorrect, we will issue you a paper check.

Paper filers

You will need to enter your bank routing number and your bank account number on your form, and indicate if the account is a checking or savings account. (Do not enter your routing and account number on your return if your refund is going to an account outside the U.S.) In addition, enter the name(s) as it appears on the bank account.

  • Form 502 - complete lines 51a, 51b, 51c, and 51d.
  • Form 505 - complete lines 54a, 54b, 54c, 54d.

Amended returns

While the refund from an original filing can be deposited electronically, any refund generated by an amended return must be issued as a paper check.