Follow the instructions on Form PV to request an automatic extension on filing your return. Filing this form extends the time to file your return, but does not extend the time to pay your taxes. Payment of the expected tax due is required with Form PV by April 15, 2024. You can file and pay by credit card or electronic funds withdrawal (direct debit) on our Web site. If no tax is due and you requested a federal extension, you do not need to file Form PV or take any other action to obtain an automatic six month extension. If no tax is due and you did not request a federal extension, file your Maryland state extension online or by phone at 410-260-7829. Only submit Form PV if there is tax due.

Combat Zone Extension

Maryland allows the same six-month extension for filing and paying personal income taxes for military and support personnel serving in a designated combat zone or qualified hazardous duty area and their spouses as allowed by the IRS. For more detailed information visit www.irs.gov. If you are affected by the extension, enter 912 in one of the code number boxes to the right of the telephone number area.

If necessary, you may request an extension of time of up to six months beyond the filing deadline to file your return.

If you already requested an extension from IRS for your federal return and you do not owe additional state tax, you receive an automatic six-month extension for filing your Maryland return.

If no tax is due and you did not request a federal extension, you can request a six-month Maryland extension online or by calling 410-260-7829 from Central Maryland or toll-free 1-800-260-3664 from elsewhere.

If you do owe additional state tax and need an extension of time to file, you must ifile or file Form PV by the due date and enclose a check or money order for the amount you expect to owe. You can also pay by credit card. You can pay by direct debit if you file electronically. You should file Form PV only if you are making a payment with your extension request.

No request will be granted for an extension of more than six months, unless you are out of the United States, in which case you may request an extension of up to one year. If you are stationed in a combat zone, see Military and Support Personnel Serving in a Combat Zone.

Estate tax extension

You may request an extension of up to six months to file a Maryland estate tax return, or up to one year if the person required to file the return is out of the United States. For more information, see Filing Extension for Estate Tax